A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad!



Today you're 65!  Hard to believe, but it's true.

You're big "Par-tay" isn't until Saturday, but given that today is your actual birthday, I couldn't let it go by without making a small tribute to you!  But first I want you to know that no one, and I do mean NO ONE is more excited about your party than your granddaughter, Ryann.  She has told everyone about it, she talks about it incessantly...and she's been making presents for you every day.  (Averaging about 3 per day for the past 3 weeks...no, I'm not kidding.)  I promise, I will help her 'edit' before we come bearing gifts. : )

I remember when I used to think of 65 as really old...but not anymore. It's like the new 50, or at least it is for you.  Still so active and relevant...watching Reality TV and downloading decent music on your IPod!  Impressive, dad, really impressive.

You are more important to our family than you'll ever know.  You are the "silent pillar", your support is more often implied than expressed, but we always know it's there, just like you are.   Never one to impose your views, but always offering sound advice when asked.

Do you remember the time I was about 17 or 18, it was a Sunday morning and I was getting ready to go out.  You came to me and asked me to spend the day with you instead.  This was such an 'unusual' request from you, as you were never one to 'interfere' with our plans.  I was intrigued by the invitation and did not need any convincing.  We drove out to the country and rode on your quad into the woods.  You packed a lunch and we ate it by a waterfall.  You told me that this was as close to God as you could get, and that this was your "church". You may not even remember this day, and there was no way you could have known the impact your words would have on me.  But, in my books, that day goes down as one of my all-time-favorite memories with you.

Happy Birthday Dad!  I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails