A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Easy Chicken Tacos

One of my...ahem...New Year's Resolutions was to start blogging about simple weeknight dinners. I know, procrastinate much? Yeah.

I'm not particularly inspired in the kitchen when it comes to regular dinners and, more often than not, I'm at a loss as to what to make. So this resolution of mine was nothing more than an attempt to start recording some of the dinners that I make that were successful so that I can remember to make them again. And by 'successful' I mean merely having fed at least 3 of the 4 members of my family. Not exactly shooting for the stars here.There's always someone who's going to turn their nose up at it in my house, which probably accounts for the reason why I'm feeling less than inspired. 

So bear with me. I'm posting these dinners because I just need a point of reference for the days when I can't come up with something new or I can't remember how I made that one meal last month that was a 'success'. 

If someone else happens to find something here that inspires them in their daily struggle to feed their family, then that's a major bonus.  

This recipe for Easy Chicken Tacos was in the America's Test Kitchen magazine. I'd have to say that it was very well received, all things considered. My husband always turns his nose up when I make anything with chicken breast but even he loved this. He opted to make his into a chicken salad because he's out with carbs. Sigh. My daughter ate the shredded chicken quite happily, but I gave it to her before I added the reduced poaching liquid because it would have been too spicy otherwise. Just a note for those of you feeding children who don't have a love for anything spicy.

Recipe for Easy Chicken Tacos
(Source: The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2011)
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce (use sparingly unless you like spice!)
3/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (roughly 3 large breasts)
1 tsp. yellow mustard
salt and pepper
12 (6 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
Melt butter in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until foaming. Add garlic and chipotles and cook till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in 1/2 cup of cilantro, the orange juice and Worcestershire and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and simmer, covered until the chicken registers 160 to 165 degrees, 10 to 15 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. 
Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until liquid is reduced to 
1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. 
Off the heat, whisk in the mustard. 
Shred the chicken into bite size pieces and return it to the skillet. 
Add remaining cilantro and toss till combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with warm tortillas and toppings. 
*For toppings, I used a diced avocado mixed with fresh lime juice and seasoned with salt, diced tomatoes, grated cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails