A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Friday, June 10, 2011

Cheesecake Brownies

You know how some recipes you see get bookmarked, and you wait for the perfect day to make them, and then others get made within the hour of seeing the recipe? This one was one of the latter. I saw the picture, I read the ingredients, I rejoiced because I knew I already had everything required in my house, and then I got started immediately. 
It could be argued that I "over-swirled" the two batters before baking, resulting in a less marbled appearance. I tried to use use a light hand while swirling, but I couldn't help myself. I just kept going and going. Thankfully, the resulting 'less than marbled effect' does not seem to affect the flavor. These brownies are delicious! The perfect balance of rich chocolate brownie and cheesecake. Kind of like a chocolate cheesecake bar. And, they're so easy to make. I found I preferred mine slightly chilled, as opposed to room temperature. For some reason any kind of cheese-cake related baking tastes better cold. 
Recipe for Cheesecake Brownies
(adapted from What's Gaby Cooking)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9 baking pan with foil, leaving a 2 inch overhang on 2 sides. Spray with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over medium low heat, constantly stirring until completely melted. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and gently fold just until  incorporated. Pour into the prepared foil lined baking pan and set aside.
For the Cheesecake layer: In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla and whisk together until smooth. Drop spoon-fulls of the cheesecake batter on top of the brownie batter. Then using a knife, swirl the two batters together until you have a marbled effect. Top with the milk chocolate chips, if using.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Chill in the refrigerator. Cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails