A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins (or Mini Bundt Cakes)

These muffins were adapted from the Baked cookbook. I've been curious about them for a while but I worried that the espresso flavor, as much as I love it, may have been too strong for my kids. So every time I had ripe bananas on my counter, I'd eye this recipe but then end up going back to  my old faithful banana bread recipe. Today I threw caution to the wind (and the incessant rain that has us stuck in the house looking for something to do). I kept the ingredients pretty true to the recipe but, instead of adding the instant coffee to the dry ingredients, I added it to the wet so that it would dissolve and ensure that no bits of the coffee granules made into the final product.
I was very happy with the results. The coffee flavor is very subtle - and unless you know it's in there, you may not even pick it up. These muffins are delicious and so moist and flavorful. Another great recipe to add to the list when looking for something to do with ripe bananas. I still have more bananas to use up so don't be surprised if you see a new Banana Bread recipe soon. But then again, don't be surprised if you don't either, you know what they say about the best of intentions. : )
Happy 'back to school' to all you moms out there. May tomorrow's new-found-freedom bring you much joy. 
Recipe for Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
(adapted from Baked - New Frontiers with Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito)
1 1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. instant coffee granules
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips (recipe calls for 1 cup of regular chips)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan (or mini bundt pan) with nonstick spray.
In medium bowl whisk stir together bananas, sugars, butter, milk, egg and instant coffee.
In another medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together until combined. Make a well in the center and add the banana mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Fill each muffin cup until 3/4's full. Bake in center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. (For me this was 23 minutes). Move muffins to cooling rack and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on cooling rack.
Can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails